Ice Storm Strands Thousands in Ill-Equipped South (nytimes.com)
Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:36:25 GMT – A storm deposited less than three inches of snow throughout the Atlanta region, but it left roads impassable, drivers trapped in cars and children stuck in schools.
- Israel, Palestinian militant groups begin three-day Gaza truce (reuters.com)
- Should Sony forget about smartphones? (cnbc.com)
- Gas blast in Taiwan kills 24, injures 271 (cnbc.com)
- Chinese city fights traditional sexism with names (marketwatch.com)
- Why rising Treasury yields may not whack EM (cnbc.com)
- As volatility spikes: Keep calm and carry on (cnbc.com)
- Tensions Escalate Between Israel and a Second Party in Gaza: The United Nations (nytimes.com)
- Gas Suspected in Fatal Blasts That Jolted a City in Taiwan (nytimes.com)
- In Final Hours, Metropolitan Opera Extends Contract Deadlines for Unions (nytimes.com)
- 72-Hour Cease-Fire Announced in Gaza Conflict as Talks Are Set (nytimes.com)
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 03:17:02 GMT – SYDNEY/GENEVA (Reuters) – Several member states of the World Trade Organisation voiced frustration after India’s demands for concessions on agricultural stockpiling led to the collapse of the first major global trade reform pact in two decades.
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:53 GMT – India is cracking down on a new gold smuggling tactic that could accelerate a flood of illegal imports of the metal into the country.
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 01:39 GMT – India’s opposition to a global trade deal is akin to the country “holding a gun to its own head,” and it risks derailing efforts to create an open-for-business image, analysts said.
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 03:26 GMT – DBS, Singapore’s biggest bank, said second-quarter net profit climbed 9 percent, beating expectations with the help of growth in loans.
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 02:00:59 GMT – Israel and Hamas agree to a three-day cease-fire in the Gaza conflict with the hope of forging a more lasting peace.
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:03 GMT – Ultra-low interest rates have spurred investors to chase yield in riskier corners of the bond market.
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 01:01 GMT – Activity in China’s vast manufacturing sector continued to pick up steam in July, two sets of data showed, as Beijing’s drip-feed of stimulus filtered through the economy.
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 02:10 GMT – U.S. equities’ bull run is far from over and stocks have a further 25 percent to run, one commentator told CNBC.
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 02:52:16 GMT – Hours after a mediator began work Thursday evening, the Metropolitan Opera granted a temporary deadline extension.
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 02:34:15 GMT – In something of a consolation prize in a year marred by gridlock, the Senate approved expanding veterans’ health care and replenishing the Highway Trust Fund.